Peter Robinson, Our official Car Buying Expert says:
Sales Manager: " Where did those people go?" Salesperson: " Which people?" SM: " Those people that were back there checking out the (anycar)." SP: " Oh, they said they were just looking." SM: "Really. Did they talk to a manager before they left?" SP: " Well....no." SM: "You're fired."
Over the years, through millions and millions of car deals, generating reams and reams of car deal data, it has been determined by car dealerships that it is more cost-effective to alienate 85 percent of the people who are "just looking" in order to sell to the other 15 percent who will finally give up and buy after several hours of 'the process'.
Read Peter's entire article CAR FU: Car Biz Chalk Talk